Monday, March 10, 2008

Things that go BUMP in my brain...

Pretentious...

Showy, ostentatious, pompous...

“I can’t come in today…I have a pretentious headache.” Why are some people pretentious? Do they assume it is a personality draw? I like it when people use good grammar and have impeccable spelling (typos not included). But, I can’t stand it when people try to impress others with ridiculous jargon and feel a desire to inject eleven letter words into every sentence, every other word. I’m not impressed people that talk (or write very informal writings) as if the ghost of Edgar Allen Poe were sitting on their shoulder. I know of two extreme examples. I have a very different definition of Pretentious. BSism. Wonder if Webster will take one? Maybe pretentious behavior stems from a lack of self esteem?
With that, I leave you to excogitate the enormity of my position.

No comments: